Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Thank You Good Kind Monks!

You have, no doubt, heard the home life of a mother and her children referred to as the domestic monastery. If you haven't, read a little of this.

Anyhow, I will not belabor that point. It is related to what I wanted to share in a manner of speaking. I want to have a domestic monastery sort of life when I'm at home all day with the little ones. So.........

In effort to bring more peace and less stress and craziness to our day, and knowing the profound effect music has on me, and also just because I like it, I recently started listening to Gregorian chant at various times of day: while preparing and eating breakfast, during morning prayer, doing the dishes or laundry, making supper and trying to de-frazzle myself before Paul gets home so he doesn't walk in to a mess--me mostly but the house too...you get the idea.

So, I wanted to share with you that IT WORKS. It lifts my mind and heart heavenward. I feel like the serene sort of mother I want to be (until Grace flings her yogurt against the wall). Truly, my children even seem to be affected by chant. Maybe it's my imagination, but they seem a hair less wild when it's playing.

Seriously, give it a try. I listen to the first one on this page and this one.

No comments: